Privacy Statement – Vancouver Centre
As a member of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) – Vancouver Centre, please be aware of the following regarding your privacy and personal information:
- Your name, address, telephone number, and email address, are captured on the RASC Vancouver Centre Membership List as prepared by the National Office.
- The Membership List is available only to the Council of Vancouver Centre for the purpose of coordinating astronomy related activities.
- The Membership List has no other purpose.
- If you wish to review or change any of your contact information, please contact the National Office directly for assistance. (Current contact information is available at http://www.rasc.ca/contact)
- Vancouver Centre complies with the regulations of the Personal Information Protection Act of BC, [SBC 2003] Chapter 63, which is duplicated in part herewith:
2 The purpose of this Act is to govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by organizations in a manner that recognizes both the right of individuals to protect their personal information and the need of organizations to collect, use or disclose personal information for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
Privacy Statement – National Office
The Privacy Statement of the National Office is available at http://www.rasc.ca/privacy and duplicated in part herewith:
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada is committed to maintaining the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of our members’ and customers’ personal information.
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada is following the Canadian Standards Association’s Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information (CAN/CSA-Q830-96).
The Key articles of the Act’s provisions are:
- organizations are required to seek the consent of individuals prior to collecting, using, or disclosing their personal information; organizations must protect personal information with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information;
- individuals may access personal information about themselves held by an organization and have it corrected, if necessary.
- exemptions include journalistic, artistic, or literary purposes.
We may collect, use, and disclose personal information to respond to application for membership, to provide our services to you, and/or to further the aims of The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, which include the promotion and advancement of astronomy and allied sciences.