Charitable Donations to the RASC Vancouver Centre
RASC Vancouver is a registered charity that advances education in astronomy and allied science.
Our Business Number is 85608 5485 RR0001. We were registered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), effective April 11, 2008 and our fiscal year end is November 30th. All spending is in accordance with approvals by Council for RASC Vancouver and expenditure guidelines of CRA. Per CRA guidelines in notification of registration (July 18, 2008):
Official receipts can only be issued to acknowledge gifts to RASC Vancouver, with a gift defined as:
- A voluntary transfer of property (including money) by a donor with “donative intent” which is deemed to exist where the donor does not receive anything of a value exceeding 80% of the fair market value of the transferred property in return for the gift.
- A contribution of services (eg. time, skills or effort) does not qualify as a gift, however, a charity can pay for services rendered and later accept the return of all or a portion of the payment as a gift, provided it is returned voluntarily.
We are pleased to accept donations for the following purposes:
- In support of the General Purposes of RASC Vancouver;
- To augment the RASC Vancouver Legacy Fund established in 2008 by estate donations from Paul Sykes and Martha Ellen Pearse. This fund is used for a variety of initiatives including public events featuring prominent science and astronomy speakers, additions to the RASC telescope program, public outreach and education, and science fair awards.
- To contribute to special projects of RASC Vancouver such as the Anthony Overton Memorial Observatory (AOMO) which is RASC Vancouver’s observatory in Maple Ridge.
Please note that tax receipts will be issued for all donations over $20 unless otherwise requested.
To make a donation:
Donations may be made in person at any regular monthly meeting, or by mail to:
Royal Astronomical Society, Vancouver Centre
PO Box 89608
9000 University High Street
Burnaby V5A 4Y0
Official tax receipts are issued for all monetary donations.
In addition, RASC Vancouver uses “CanadaHelps.org” to facilitate accepting donations online. Donations to the RASC Vancouver using CanadaHelps.org may be made here.
Qualifying donations made through CanadaHelps.org will be receipted by that organization.